Weight loss – one of the most common topics on the internet. Even the current pandemic didn’t manage to decrease the popularity of this search term. In fact, it actually enhanced it.
As the entire world stopped and we all got stuck in our homes for an entire year, our bodies certainly paid the price. We may have been able to protect ourselves from the pandemic but the ever looming monster known as weight gain showed no hesitance in making its entrance.
The people who went into lockdown came out twice as plump as before. This brought in a new wave of weight loss motivation articles, videos, podcasts and what not.
So, let me add one more to the fray.
The challenge of losing weight
The biggest challenge for anyone wanting to lose weight is to be able to stay motivated. It is very easy to say that you’re going to start dieting from tomorrow but the temptation of that lovely little piece of cake on your colleague’s birthday party seems too hard to resist.
This is why we are here to help you create a meaningful goal for yourself. Often, the biggest reason that people lose motivation is because they don’t have a clear goal.
So, let us set a goal for you with our instant loss challenge. The instant loss challenge involves losing 10 kg in 90 days. And that too without joining a gym.
INSTANT LOSS CHALLENGE : LOSE 10 KG IN 90 DAYS
So, how are you going to do it? Well, don’t worry let us guide you.
Calculate your BMR
First of all, let’s calculate your BMR. According to ‘Medical News Today’, BMR means basal metabolic rate which estimates the minimum number of calories a person needs to burn to sustain their basic life functions during a 24-hour period of rest.
Knowing your BMR will help you calculate how many calories you need to eat in a day for weight loss.
Use this BMR calculator to know how many calories you need to eat in a day to lose weight : BMR calculator
Make a meal plan
Now that you know how many calories you should eat in a day to lose weight, make a meal that will involve you eating enough calories to lose 0.5 kg a week.
Make sure you follow this meal plan strictly.
For example, if you need to eat 1500 calories a day, your meal plan for the day may look like this:
Breakfast: 1 cup poha (without sev)
Mid morning snack: 1 cup papaya
Lunch: 2 jowar roti + 1 cup green vegetables + 1 cup curd
Evening Snack : 1 cup green tea + 10 soaked almonds
Dinner: 2 eggs (boiled or omelette) + sauteed vegetables / 100 gm paneer bhurji
Rules of Instant Loss Challenge
- Make sure you maintain a gap of at least 3 hours between your dinner and the time you go to sleep.
- Make sure that you get plenty of sleep to keep your energy levels high.
- Chew slowly. Savor your meals.
- As soon as you wake up in the morning, drink water. If possible, drink at least two glasses. The target is 8 glasses a day. 1 glass = 250 ml.
- Use vegetables and fruits that are in season. In fact, try to use as many fresh ingredients as possible. Stay away from packaged foods as they may contain hidden calories.
- Practice portion control. If possible, buy a food measuring scale so that you can keep track of the exact amount of food you are eating.
- Keep a food diary where you log everything you eat in a day. And yes, this includes snacks and bites you sneak in while cooking. You can also download a calorie counter app on your phone.
- You can have a cheat meal every second sunday. Remember, cheat meal, not cheat day. If you end up having a cheat meal any other day, it’s okay, dust yourself off and go back to your diet the next day.
- Mark the end of your 90 day period on your calendar so that you have a goal to aspire to.
- Have home cooked meals as much as possible and try to avoid eating out because you may never know how they prepare their food and what extra ingredients they may add to your meal.
- Before you start, note down your weight and waist circumference.
- If you have any existing illnesses, make sure you talk to your doctor before you start this challenge.
- Ask your friends to join you. Having other people working towards the same goal can be a very strong motivator.
- Visualize your goals. Imagine what you would look like after you have lost weight. Use this mental image as a motivator every time you feel like giving up.
- If possible, increase your daily activity. For example, start your day by going for a 30 minute morning walk. Or just walk for 10 minutes after every meal.
- Cut out sugar completely from your life. Even during cheat meals, try and avoid sugar.
- Find alternate ways to reward yourselves instead of using food as a prize. Many people have a habit of eating something nice everytime they want to treat themselves. Change this habit.
- If you want you can use slimming oils for targeted fat burn such as burning the fat around your belly. ISO Herbal oil can be quite useful for this. You can buy it from the official website.
- If you want to reward yourself, buy a nice top or a new shirt or something else you want. Or just go watch a movie or have a pamper session in a salon or spa. Do not use junk food as a prize.
Healthy Food Recipes You Can Try
- Pumpkin (sliced) – 200 gms.
- Salt – to taste
- Garlic – 3 to 4 cloves
- Onion – 1 small chopped
- Butter / oil – 1 tbsp
- Fresh cream – 1 tbsp
How to Prepare
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add pumpkin and sprinkle salt over it.
- Roast on medium heat. Roast onion and garlic too.
- Add half a cup of water and cover the lid and cook on low flame till the pumpkin is cooked.
- Blend when it cools down and sieve.
- Reheat. Garnish with cream and serve hot with soup sticks.
- Gram flour – 1 cup
- Citric acid – a pinch
- Fruit salt – 1 tsp
- Sugar and mustard seeds (Rai) – 1 tsp
- Green coriander, green chilli, sweet neem – according to taste
- Oil – 2 tsp.
- Salt – according to taste
How to Prepare
- Mix citric acid and salt in half a cup of water and let it dissolve. Now mix it in gram flour and make a thick batter by adding water as required.
- Add fruit salt to this solution. Put this prepared mixture in a greased dish and steam it for eight to 10 minutes.
- On the side, heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds to it. When it crackles, add curry leaves, green chillies and chopped coriander leaves.
- Add sugar and half a cup of water and boil it and switch off the gas.
- Now pour this over the cooled dhokla. Serve the prepared dhokla with green chutney.
Oats flour – 1/2 cup
Semolina – 1/2 cup
Fresh yogurt – 1/2 cup
Ghee -2 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Cumin – 1 tsp
Hing – 1/2 tsp
Grated ginger – 1/2 tsp
Coarsely chopped cashews – 2 tbsp
Finely chopped green chillies – 2 tsp
Finely chopped coriander – 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
Fruit salt – 1/2 tsp
Oil for greasing
How to Prepare
- Combine the oats flour, semolina, curd and 3/4 cup water in a deep vessel and keep aside for 30 minutes.
- Heat a small non-stick pan, add mustard seeds.
- When the mustard starts crackling, then add cumin and hing and fry for a few seconds on medium flame.
- Now mix this tempering with the rest of the ingredients except the fruit salt, oats and semolina mixture.
- Before steaming, pour fruit salt over the mixture and pour 2 tsp of water over it.
- When bubbles start to form, mix it gently.
- Grease the idli pot with oil and put the mixture in it and steam it in a steamer for 7 to 8 minutes till the idlis are cooked.
- Cool a bit and take out from the container and serve immediately.
This instant loss challenge may seem a bit intimidating at first but trust me once you start it will seem like the easiest thing in the world. The real challenge is to get through the first two weeks. After this, healthy eating will become a part of your daily routine.
The aim of this challenge is to get you used to healthy eating habits. Do not go back to your old routine after finishing the challenge. Enjoy your weight loss and work on maintaining it. After all, it is a product of your own hard work.
So, are you ready for the challenge? Ready, set, GO!!!